- Let me thread you a story… (1-17)
- Portalville has been on summer vacation. Yep, that’s right, the whole danged town. We needed a break from our day-to-day reality.
- So we hired us a whole mess of buses and drove them through the portal after which Portalville is named.
- We came out in another plain of existence, somewhere folks could all agree about things and where no one felt better than anyone else.
- Clearly, not any place on this earth.
- Now, Portalville is a pretty friendly place under normal circumstances and we mostly get along with each other right nice.
- But sometimes it all gets a bit much, especially when outside agitators come to town and demand we take sides in their outside arguments.
- It gets wearying, and if you add into that the tendency of most folks in town towards summer seasonal affective disorder…
- Well, like I said, time for a break. So, Mayor Begay ordered up those buses. We had the dire wolves manning the barricades on Route 40,
- let the Rock tribe seal up the passes through the Imogen Mountains, and told Dennis the Toll Troll to shut down the Wynotte Bridge—
- although the mayor told him he still wasn’t allowed to eat anyone who tried to cross. We sure hope he kept his word there.
- With the town sealed off from the world and our minds at ease about invasion, we took to the portal and had us a fine time.
- ‘Course, vacation always has to end sometime. The kids had to get back to school, the maintenance crews had to get back to work.
- And running away from problems never does any good in the long run. Not while you’re a living, breathing human being.
- Ain’t none of us dead yet, and while you’re drawing air into your lungs you need to be part of the world. Or you ain’t really living.
- So yep, we’re back. We’re still breathing. For now, anyway. All I can truly say for sure is that we’re back for today.
- But then, today is all you ever have, ain’t it?
This tale can also be found on Twitter @downportalville.
Mirrored from Better Than Dead.